2 hours to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy skillet, on low heat, melt butter until it begins to foam. Stir for about 5 minutes, until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and allow to cool in the fridge until solid, for about 30 minutes. Once solid, remove from fridge and set aside to bring back to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and place oven rack in lower middle section of oven. Butter a nonstick 9×5-inch loaf pan and dust with powdered sugar.
- Beat browned butter until it becomes creamy, then add sugar and vanilla. Continue beating for 3-5 minutes until well combined and creamed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure each is thoroughly combined before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder, then slowly beat flour mixture into creamed butter mixture until well combined.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosely cover with foil, then continue baking for 20-25 minutes. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer, upside down, to a serving platter.
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats