Ideas for Baking Low Fat Chocolate Cakes with a Cake Mix
1. Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box. Mom shared this recipe with me the other day, when I wanted a quick cake for dinner. I baked it in 2 8-inch square foil pans – one for us and one to share. To make it extra special I sprinkled each cake with about 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips before baking. It turned out moist and delicious.
2. Low Fat Chocolate Yogurt Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt and 1 cup water and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box.
(For either recipe each small serving (1/24th) of recipe has around 100 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein
I cut the recipe in half (which explains why the amounts look a little funny) but it’s worth it when you have a small family and find it dangerous to have too many tempting sweets around
Hershey’s Perfect Chocolate Cake Half Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and until well combined.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until very smooth.
- Stir in the boiling water. (The batter will be thin.)
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pans set on wire racks for 10 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and set them on wire racks to cool completely.