This cake can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to serve. It is great for a summer cookout and potluck. We think the cake is best served at room temperature. I just take it out a couple of hours before serving. This cake is always a hit! I’ve taken it to several potlucks and everyone always asks for the recipe!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (20-oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, flour, baking soda, vanilla extract, crushed pineapple and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- While cake is baking prepare frosting. Combine melted butter, softened cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cups chopped pecans.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately spread frosting over warm cake. Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring cake to room temperature before serving.