1 hour 30 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 package pie crust
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (add more if desired)
- 1 package cheddar cheese, grated, 16 ounces, 1/2 cup reserved
- 4-5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F. Poke holes in pie crust before covering with foil. Fill at least half the pan with dry beans or pie weights. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, and then remove the foil and pie weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and reduce heat to 350F.
- While crust bakes, cook bacon. Drain on a paper towel, and chop roughly.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper, bacon and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Pour the mixture into cooled pie shell, and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, top with reserved cheese, and finish cooking for 10-15 minutes. TIP: to prevent edges of crust from burning, at this point line crust with tin foil.
- Garnish with parsley prior to serving.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling